Youth Concert applications for the 2019 Festival
It is with great pleasure that the Festival will once again present a focus on youth and folk music at the 31st Illawarra Folk Festival. Since it’s inception, the festival has encouraged involvement from youth. Folk music by its very nature is music of the people, whether young or old.
Youth Folk Concerts are held over the Friday and Saturday of the festival with wild gyspy ensembles, traditional trios, sensational soloists and youth folk bands like you’ve never seen before.
This year we have again committed a whole venue for a number of hours on the Friday and Saturday of the festival.
There two main aims:
- To encourage younger performers with alternative music, (a broad folk brush) to perform in public and to a folk festival audience.
- To provide the performers with an opportunity to see other like-minded performers and to see other folk performers in action.
Essential Performance Criteria
- Folk style, folk influence (Singer / songwriter / bands)
- Age: 9 to 25 Years
- Unplugged performance. Acoustic instruments only
- Cut down drum kit, acoustic guitar, electric bass are acceptable. Bring out the instruments outside the rock tradition e.g. violins, mandolins, didgeridoo, accordion, whistles, banjos, autoharps, harmonicas, harps
The performance set is to contain either/or
- an original song (reflecting historic content – time/place/person)
- a version of a traditional folk tune (i.e. Irish/Australian ballad, Greek/ Macedonian dance tune etc)
The concerts are planned for Friday evening 16th January and Saturday 17th January 2015. The performance will be for around 15 to 20 minutes dependent on the number of performers. The venue is to be advised within the Bulli Showground Festival site.
For The Artists
There is no remuneration however all performers will receive 1 Festival Day Pass for themselves and 1 for a parent for Youth artists who are under 18. These are worth over $60. These day passes can be upgraded to a Season Pass at Family Discount rates.
Applications for the 2019 Youth Folk Artist Concerts will close 30 September 2015.
Contact Ann Lehmann
tel. 0414 680 123